MSGM was formed on 13th July 2012 to address the issues of healthcare needs of older population in Malaysia, which is rapidly increasing. Amongst its mission are:
- To increase awareness in the healthcare needs of older people in Malaysia;
- To advice appropriate regulatory bodies over matters pertaining to the training and credentialing of geriatricians;
- To represent the medical profession matters related to geriatric medicine in Malaysia;
- To represent the medical profession in matters related to geriatric medicine in Malaysia;
- To promote, conduct and coordinate publications, surveys and research in the field of geriatric medicine;
- To collaborate with the government and its agencies particularly in the implementation of national policies relevant to the field.
Since its inception, MSGM has organised several national geriatric conferences in Malaysia